Become a Crewmate
Jump aboard our ship and become a Volunteer Crewmate, supporting young people in London at our after-school literacy sessions. You will support up to three children per session with their reading and writing, helping them gain confidence both at school and in the world beyond. All sessions are guided by a qualified teacher.
We run sessions in-person (sign up to volunteer in-person) in our dedicated Hackney and Haringey centres and also online (sign up to volunteer virtually). Our in-person sessions run from 3:45pm-6:45pm and our virtual sessions run from 3:45pm-6:15pm. We have a 12-session minimum commitment that can be completed either on a weekly basis or flexibly. All volunteers are DBS checked and require a UK residence.
Four steps to becoming a Crewmate
- Let us know your interest – tell us why you want to become a virtual (sign up to volunteer virtually) or in-person (sign up to volunteer in-person) volunteer in our short form
- Book training session/s – during term time we run these every month
- Attend a welcome meeting and complete a DBS – after attending training, we will be in touch to arrange a welcome meeting where we will complete your DBS application
- Book volunteering slots and attend any additional tech training – once your DBS has arrived, you’ll be invited to book sessions at the times you would like to volunteer. If volunteering virtually, you will also need to attend a short 30 min tech induction on the virtual platform
Benefits of Volunteering
- Giving back to the local community in a meaningful and impactful way.
- Gaining skills in interacting with a variety of different people, as well as communication and collaboration skills.
- Getting additional training and support from us, plus a regular newsletter with updates and top tips.
- Making friends and meeting new people in sessions.
- Having fun! Most of our volunteers keep coming back because they enjoy working with our Young Pirates.