Session Delivery (fixed contract)
Hours: Mon, Tue, Wed & Fri, 2.30-7pm (during term time)
Location: Hackney, Haringey and online as required
Contract: fixed term contract, ASAP – 15th December 2023
Application deadline: rolling
Do you have experience leading sessions for young people?
Are you interested in building up some experience teaching and working with children?
Are you a quick learner who is ready to jump aboard the ship that needs you most?
We are looking for someone to support our exciting learning programme by providing delivery cover. Each afternoon, you will be assigned to Session Support or Session Leaders on board our Hackney, Haringey or Virtual Ship.
- Covering Session Leader or Session Support in our daily learning sessions;
- Keeping children safe by following our safeguarding policy and procedures;
- Maintaining a positive environment and following our behaviour procedures;
- As required, supporting on other projects to support the smooth running of the programme.
|Session Leader activities |
2.30pm Session prep
Connect with the Session Support and ship team Read the session plans and Young Pirate info Prepare resources and activities
3.45pm Volunteer briefing
Meet your crewmates for the day! Provide info on activities and safeguarding
Use the session plan to lead: A supportive and enjoyable reading session A fun writing session for the published product
6.30pm Wrapping up Oversee a safe departure of the Young Pirates Complete follow up notes and tidy up
|Session Support activities |
2.30pm Session prep Connect with the Session Leader and ship team Set up resources and activities Family communications
3.30pm Young Pirate welcome and registration Be the warm welcome! Safely register attendance.
4.00pm Session Attendance admin and follow up with no shows Lead break: games and snacks! Extra support on learning or project activities
6.30pm Wrapping up Lead volunteer debrief for feedback Complete follow up notes and tidy up
Skills and experience
The key skills we need from this person are.
- Ability to lead a fun and inclusive session for children
- Fast learner who is comfortable in fun and busy learning spaces
- Clear communicator with adults and children
- Growth mindset and solution focused
We know skills can come from varied experiences, below is a list of experiences that could show the skills we are looking for. If you don’t see yourself in the experience list but you think you have the skills for the role, we’d still like to hear from you.
- Voluntary or paid experience leading sessions for children
- Voluntary or paid experience in a school, learning centre, youth group or other setting with young people in.
- Lived experience of the communities of the Young Pirates and their families.
We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion at the Literacy Pirates. You can read about our ethos here.
As we are looking for an applicant to start asap, so applications are rolling.
Please send a CV of your experience and a brief one page cover letter outlining why you have the skills for the role to email@example.com You can also request a chat about this role by emailing us
We will invite you for an interview and are able to compensate for any loss of pay.
Successful candidates will require references and a DBS check.