Following the promotion of an existing member of staff, we’re looking for a new addition to our fundraising team!
In this role, you’ll be forming relationships with local and national businesses and helping them raise money for The Literacy Pirates. You’ll be pulling together compelling proposals, reaching out to new partners, keeping our current partners up to date, and putting on engaging events.
We’re more interested in your attitude than your experience so, if you’re a people person with heaps of ambition and the motivation to learn, read on!
|£24,000 – £26,000, depending on experience (inc. London weighting)
|Full-time, permanent (35 hours per week)
|Hackney with the option for two days a week from home
|22nd January 2023
|In person in our Hackney office, week commencing 29th January 2023
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for candidates who are a good fit in terms of attributes and attitude and are keen to learn and gain experience.
While certain experiences will be helpful, we are not looking for a specific set of experience so, if you think you have the qualities we’re looking for, we’d love to hear from you.
The attributes and attitudes we’re looking for are:
- Wants to have a career in fundraising.
- Is motivated by targets.
- Is tenacious and resilient.
- Is relationship focused, enjoys meeting new people at all levels, in a variety of situations.
- Isn’t afraid to pick up the phone.
- Has the ability to motivate and inspire others.
- Works well with people from different backgrounds and perspectives.
- Has a positive, driven mindset.
- Manages your time well and can prioritise tasks, with support from your manager.
- Is confident in your written communication skills.
- Believes that all children should have the opportunity to succeed at school and beyond.
- Working to annual income targets, alongside the Corporate Partnerships Manager.
- Providing account management for a pool of corporate partners.
- Providing our corporate partners with regular updates including writing a newsletter.
- Ensuring our corporate partners feel appreciated with tailored communications, nurturing relationships with phone calls and hosting visits.
- Coming up with innovative ideas for engaging corporate partners’ employees, delivering Lunch & Learn sessions at their offices and hosting visits to our ships.
- Organising volunteering days for corporate partners.
- Keeping track of key activities and reporting to partners about the impact of their support.
- Meeting partner requirements, through regular written reports.
- Supporting the Corporate Partnerships Manager to create new partnerships by undertaking research into potential partners.
- Making approaches to select organisations by phone and email.
- Giving presentations and making pitches with support from the Manager.
- Writing tailored proposals and grant applications to corporate foundations.
- Using MS Teams to manage work and communicate with the team.
- Using Salesforce daily to ensure we track all communications and keep supporter records up to date.
- Responding to emails.
- Processing online giving reports.
- Managing projects within the Community Fundraising programme e.g. Team Literacy Pirates in Hackney Half Marathon.
- Contributing to special campaigns and projects within the wider fundraising function.
What to expect as a member of the crew
- Be part of a committed, inclusive organisation that supports its team to thrive. We value each member of our team’s professional development and provide training to make sure you have the chance to develop your skills and grow your experience as part of our expanding team. Click here for more information about our commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
- Get support for your life outside of work. We know how important your personal life is, so every member of the team is able to apply for flexible working arrangements around their delivery commitments. We also offer enhanced sick and parental pay, with supportive parenting arrangements.
- Gain 24 hour access to qualified counsellors for yourself and your immediate family. Through the Health Assured Employee Assistance Programme, yourself and your immediate family can receive free, confidential advice and support from qualified counsellors, on everything from stress and anxiety to family issues, bereavement and finances.
- Receive 23 days of annual leave per year, plus bank holidays and three days between Christmas and New Year, and increased allowance with service.
- Get to work in a pirate ship!
About the Fundraising Team
Annually, we raise over £1 million, thanks to our generous and dedicated funders.
We work to ambitious but achievable targets and, in the last four years, we have doubled our income. This is raised from a variety of Trusts and Foundations and individual supporters, as well as our corporate partnerships with a range of local and national businesses.
Our corporate partnerships programme is four years old and makes up approximately 20% of our income.
Director of Fundraising
Trusts & Foundations Manager
Corporate Partnerships Manager
Trusts & Foundations Officer
How to apply
This vacancy has now closed.
The interviews will be held at our Hackney office during the week beginning 29th January 2023. If you need to take time off work, we are happy to compensate you for your time.
Successful candidates will be called for a final interview with a few of our Young Pirates.
Like all roles at The Literacy Pirates, the successful candidate will complete DBS and a three-month probationary period before the confirmation of the appointment.