Through our after-school programme, we develop the literacy, confidence and perseverance of children who are falling behind in class and have fewer opportunities in their personal lives, so that they can succeed at school and beyond.
Our Volunteer Crewmates make this happen!
“The joy and energy of the Young Pirates was infectious and uplifting… It’s the best decision I’ve ever made!“Volunteer Crewmate, 2023
As a Volunteer Crewmate, you will:
- Support Young Pirates to develop reading and writing skills, 1:1 and in small groups.
- Celebrate Young Pirates’ achievements and encourage confidence and perseverance.
- Receive full training and gain new skills and experiences.
- Take part in games and have fun!
- Come to socials and get extra opportunities.
Volunteer online or in person once a month
We ask Volunteer Crewmates to give just two afternoons every half term – although you’re welcome to volunteer more if you choose to!
Sessions run every weekday from 3:45 pm during term time and last:
- 2.5 hours online from anywhere in the UK.
- 3 hours in person in Hackney and Haringey.
Come to an Information Event to learn more
Interested in volunteering with The Literacy Pirates? Join us in our real-life pirate ship or our specially designed online platform to learn more!
Join the adventure! Sign up to Volunteer
No experience or qualifications are required to become a Volunteer Crewmate – just a desire to help children develop their reading and writing skills! Full training is provided.
All you need to be is aged 16+, eligible to work in the UK and to complete a DBS check.
- Register your interest – tell us why you want to become a virtual or in-person volunteer in our short form.
- Book a training session – we run these once a month during term time.
- Attend a welcome meeting and complete a DBS check – after attending training, we will be in touch to arrange a welcome meeting where we will complete your DBS application (we’ll cover the cost of this).
- Book volunteering slots and attend any additional tech training – once your DBS has arrived, you’ll be invited to book sessions at the times you would like to volunteer. If volunteering virtually, you will also need to attend a short 30 min tech induction on the virtual platform