Become a Virtual Crewmate
Volunteer from home in our virtual sessions, supporting young people across London on our interactive learning platform.
What skills do I need to be a Volunteer Crewmate?
Our sessions are led by trained teachers, so don’t worry – you don’t need any teaching experience, or to have worked with children before. Just bring your enthusiasm, and interest in supporting young people.
Our ideal Virtual Crewmate…
• can support children’s learning, in line with our learning strategies and behaviour management techniques (guided by teachers)
• has a patient and respectful approach to children and adults
• has functional English skills
• has good communication skills and the ability to follow, remember and then give instructions
• is reliable and punctual
• is self-reflective, seeking ways to improve how they work
• has basic IT skills, and access to a laptop that allows you to share your screen
What equipment do I need to be a Crewmate?
You will need a stable internet connection and access to a computer or laptop. Your internet speed should be no lower than 25 Mbps (you can check yours at www.fast.com).
To get the best experience, we would recommend you use:
- A Desktop or Laptop computer with Windows (edition Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows server 2019, Windows server 2016), minimum 4GB RAM available and 3GB of free storage.
- A Macbook (version macOS Bir Sur or macOS Catalina or macOS Mojave), minimum 4GB memory available and 1.5GB of free storage.
When can I volunteer virtually?
Sessions run on weekdays during term time, generally from 3:45pm to 6:15pm.
To let us know your interest, fill in our form below:
Thanks for your interest in the Literacy Pirates. Please use this form to book a training session.