Join us in person at our sessions in Hackney and Haringey, working with young people from local schools.
What skills do I need to be a Volunteer Crewmate?
Our sessions are led by trained teachers, so don’t worry – you don’t need any teaching experience, or to have worked with children before. Just bring your enthusiasm, and interest in supporting young people.
Our ideal Volunteer Crewmate…
• can support children’s learning, in line with our learning strategies and behaviour management techniques (guided by teachers)
• has a patient and respectful approach to children and adults
• has functional English skills
• has good communication skills and the ability to follow, remember and then give instructions
• is reliable and punctual
• is self-reflective, seeking ways to improve how they work
What equipment do I need to be a Volunteer Crewmate?
No equipment is needed to volunteer. We will provide short summaries of what to expect that will be available in advance of each session.
When can I volunteer in-person?
Sessions run on weekdays during term time, generally from 3:45pm to 6:45pm.
To let us know your interest, fill in our form below:
Thanks for your interest in the Literacy Pirates. Please use this form to book a training session.